Vampire

HMAS Vampire – The Last of the Big Guns
 
 
 
IMG_1042
 
IMG_1216  IMG_1219
 
IMG_1172
 
IMG_1043  IMG_1044
 
IMG_1078  IMG_1080  IMG_1082
 
After our visit to the submarine Onslow, we bimbled around Vampire. We dedicate this blog to all our BARB’s who are in the Royal Navy, Navy, Royal Marines, Marines or are retired from the Senior Service. You will know better than us where the pictures were taken. Enjoy, we did.
 
 
IMG_1046  IMG_1049  IMG_1085
 
IMG_1048  IMG_1056  IMG_1064  IMG_1076
 
IMG_1054  IMG_1060  IMG_1062
 
IMG_1084  IMG_1066  IMG_1077  IMG_1106
 
Vampire is a ship from another era. The last of the big destroyers built in Australia and the last Australian example of a gun ship. HMAS Vampire served in the Royal Australian Navy from 1959 to 1986 and contributed to Australia’s defence during the often tense Cold War years. This ship took part in many exercises and joint operations with other navies, but had an essentially peaceful career. Vampire is a modified Daring class destroyer, one of the last to carry conventional guns as main armament and precedes today’s guided missile frigates and destroyers.
Vampire was one of three Darings built in Australia, with sisters ships Voyager and Vendetta. Their strong, light construction combined high speed with maximum armament. They provided aircraft carrier escort and gunfire support to the Fleet.
In the 1960’s Vampire served in Fleet tours and naval exercises as part of the Commonwealth Strategic Reserve with SEATO (South-East Asia Treaty Organisation). She took part in exercises held off Singapore during the Indonesian Confrontation with Malaysia in 1965 and made troop escort runs to Vietnam in 1965-1967 and 1969, but was not directly involved in action.
Vampire had extensive mid-life refit in 1970-1971 to modernise surveillance and gunfire control systems. Part of the superstructure was rebuilt in lightweight aluminium alloy. Over 2,000 repairs and modifications – major and minor – were undertaken at this time. I just asked Bear was it my time for a major refit. He just laughed and asked about contact glue......
Vampire was refitted again in 1980 for her final role as a training ship when about 40% of the entire ship’s company were undergoing training at any one time. A large proportion of past and present naval personnel have served at some time or other in ‘the Bat’.
 
 
IMG_1073  IMG_1074
 
IMG_1156
 
IMG_1155  IMG_1157  IMG_1164
 
IMG_1186  IMG_1190  IMG_1125  IMG_1127
 
IMG_1134  IMG_1142  IMG_1263  IMG_1180
 
IMG_1135  IMG_1149  IMG_1143 
 
IMG_1162  IMG_1090  IMG_1202  IMG_1130
 
IMG_1087  IMG_1095  IMG_1088
 
Vital Statistics: Built on Cockatoo Island here in Sydney Harbour. Keel laid in 1952, launched in 1956. Commissioned in 1959 decommissioned in 1986. Lent by the Department of Defence 1990-1997. Transferred to the National Maritime Museum in 1997. Length 118.65 metres. Breadth 13.11 metres. Draught 5.49 metres. Speed 30.5 knots maximum. Displacement 3,888 tonnes (full load). Range 5.612 kilometres at 20 knots. Original compliment 245 sailors and 29 officers. Call sign VKMC. Pendant D11; reduced to 11 in 1969.
 
 
IMG_1319
 
IMG_1295  IMG_1297  IMG_1296
 
IMG_1323
 
Armament: Vampire's main armament consisted of six 4.5-inch (110 mm) Mark V guns mounted in three Mark 6 twin turrets, two forward and one aft. Her anti-aircraft outfit consisted of six 40 mm Bofors; two single mountings on the forward superstructure, and two twin mountings on the aft superstructure. Four 0.5-inch (13 mm) Browning machine guns were carried for point defence. Five 21-inch torpedo tubes were fitted to a single Mark IV pentad mount on the deck between the forward and aft superstructures. For anti-submarine warfare, a Limbo anti-submarine mortar was carried on the aft deck, offset to port. The twin Bofors, torpedo launcher, and Limbo mortar were all removed during various refits. A Sea Cat missile system was installed at some point during her career.

Vampire was fitted with a Type 170 attack sonar, a Type 174 search sonar, and a Type 185 submarine detection sonar. The original fire control directors were a Flyplane 3 and an MRS 8. These were replaced during the 1970–71 refit with two M22 units. The air warning radar was replaced with an LW-02 air search radar during the same refit, and an 8gr-301A surface search and navigation radar was installed.

 

 

IMG_1270  IMG_1276  IMG_1274

IMG_1279 

IMG_1265  IMG_1286  IMG_1288

IMG_1289  IMG_1290 

IMG_1230

IMG_1224  IMG_1232  IMG_1226

IMG_1233

IMG_1292  IMG_1298  IMG_1280 

IMG_1287  IMG_1267  IMG_1322  IMG_1081

IMG_1338

IMG_1350

IMG_1122

 

 

 

ALL IN ALL A HAPPILY RETIRED LADY

                     NICELY LAID OUT