Just a Few Houses
Just A Few of the Houses, Savannah, Georgia
Savannah is home to a National Historic Landmark District of two and a half square miles and more than eleven hundred architecturally significant buildings. The Victorian District is one of the nation's largest collections of that period's architecture. We looked at just a few of them.
The Mercer House, now called the Mercer-Williams House Museum, 429 Bull Street, stands at the southwest end of Monterey Square. In 1964, a boy chasing pigeons on the roof fell over the edge and impaled himself on the iron fence below. In 1913 a previous owner tripped over the second floor banister, fractured his hip and suffered a concussion, dying three days later. The house was the scene of the shooting of Jim Williams' assistant, Danny Hansford. This story was turned in to a novel in 1994 by John Berendt calles Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Also a Clint Eastwood film starring Kevin Spacey and John Cusack.
History: Construction of the house began in 1860. Designed by John S. Norris for General Hugh Weedon Mercer (great-grandfather of the songwriter Johnny Mercer who wrote for Bing Crosby and many others – who won four Oscars including one for Moon River). Building was interrupted by the American Civil War, finally completed around 1868 by the new owner, John Wilder.
For a period in the twentieth century, the building was used as the Savannah Shriners Alee Temple. It then lay vacant for a decade until in 1969 when Jim Williams, one of Savannah’s earliest and most dedicated private restorationists, bought the house and restored it. The house is now owned by his sister Dorothy Kingery and is open as a museum and features on the ghost tours. Quite a story.
Andrew Low House: Andrew Low was a plucky 16 year-old Scotsman who came to Savannah seeking his fortune in the late 1820’s. He became involved in one of the key import/export businesses of the day – that of buying and selling cotton. By 1847 he was a rich man with a beautiful wife, two daughters and a young son. Low commissioned the renowned architect John Norris to design a stylish mansion for his young family, but before they could move in, Low’s wife and son died suddenly. Low moved into the house in 1849 as a devastated single parent with his two daughters. He married again five years later and produced more children including a son and heir, William Mackey Low. The house was filled with children, dogs and many distinguished guests who were friends of Andrew Low, including Gen. Robert E. Lee and the British author William Makepeace Thackeray.
Andrew Low would largely be forgotten today, but his daughter-in-law Juliette Gordon Low, founded the Girl Scouts of the USA in the parlour of the stately home. She died there in 1927 and the house was purchased by the National Society for the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia. The home was lovingly restored to its former grandeur and has been open to the public since 1952.
As we bimbled we saw this house for sale and looked it up later to see what Sotheby's had to say and of course to find out it’s price:
$725,000. Historic Townhouse of Laurence Connell c1852. This captivating 3250 square foot Colonial home features 4 BR, 3.5 BA and is available for the first time in 36 years! The historic home offers 6 fireplaces, hardwood flooring and 9 + foot ceilings. The bold wrought iron facade encasing the balcony adds character to the freestanding 3 story building. A walled courtyard and 2 off-street parking places are included with the property. Great opportunity to own a true piece of American History.
In 1860, Connell was a justice of the peace living here with a wife and three sons. At least one of his sons, Laurence Connell Jr., served in the CSA.
Random pics to show some features
ALL IN ALL QUITE SOMETHING TO SEE SO MANY PERIOD HOUSES IN ONE SMALL AREA
VERY PRETTY AND OLDY-WORLDY FOR AMERICA