logo Beez Neez
Date: 25 Jan 2012 22:57:00
Title: A Few More Bits

A Few More Interesting Bits
 
 
 
 
 
OldCandler    m-9038
 
 

1804-1872 - Georgia Colony's first hospital was founded for sick seamen in 1804. In 1808, it became incorporated and was named the Savannah Poor House and Hospital. The hospital was initially located in a private home on Joachin Street. In 1819, the hospital erected its first building. In 1872, the name was changed to Savannah Hospital.

1872-1888 - Savannah Hospital was headquarters for the Savannah Medical School and home to the city's first nursing school.

1930 - Savannah Hospital was acquired by the Georgia Hospital Board of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and renamed in honor of the Bishop, Warren A. Candler.

1960 - Candler Hospital joined forces with the longest operating women's hospital in the United States, the Telfair Hospital for Females. Created in 1886 through the estate of Mary Telfair, the hospital became Candler's obstetrical unit.

1980 - Candler Hospital moved to its current location on Reynolds Street. Believed to be the second-oldest general hospital in continuous operation in the United States, Candler Hospital has serviced more than nine generations of Savannah-area families.

1997 - Candler Hospital entered into a joint operating agreement with St. Joseph's Hospital and together formed St. Joseph's/Candler, the region's largest and most experienced healthcare provider.

 

LF Savannah 078

 

 

The Marker says: Georgia`s first hospital, this institution is believed to be the second oldest general hospital in continuous operation in the U.S. It was founded in 1803 as a seamen`s hospital and poor house and was incorporated in 1808 under the name of Savannah Poor House and Hospital Society. The hospital was removed to this site in 1819. In 1835 a new charter was obtained for the institution. During the War Between the States a portion of the Hospital was used for the care of Confederate soldiers. In the area to the rear a stockade was erected in 1864, around the great oak that still stands there, for confinement of Union prisoners. After Sherman’s occupation of Savannah and until 1866 the building served as a Union hospital. The name was changed in 1872 to Savannah Hospital. From 1871 to 1888 the Savannah Medical College was located here. In 1876 the building was completely renovated. However, the structure of the 1819 building was retained and remains as the nucleus of the present hospital. In 1931 the facilities were acquired by the Methodist Church, and the name changed to honour Bishop Warren A. Candler.   Erected 1964 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-84.)

 

LF Savannah 2  LF Savannah 22  LF Savannah2 

LF Savannah 076  LF Savannah 077

 

Sadly this old lady could do with a bit of TLC. It is supposed to be the most haunted building in Savannah, popular tour in the dark.

 

 

BB Savannah 111

Candler Tree

 

Outside is the Candler Oak Tree.

 

 

During its lifetime, the Candler Oak has been a silent witness to the many changes in the area. In 1791, the Georgia State Legislature granted five acres of land surrounding the mighty oak to be used for the  seaman’s hospital. After years of stress, the Candler Oak was in serious decline with a life expectancy of less than twenty years. In 1982, the first preservation project of Savannah Tree Foundation (STF) was to save this historic tree. The group made history by securing the first conservation easement on a single tree in the nation. This 6,804 sq. ft. easement was established in 1984 to protect the Candler Oak from loss to development. Huntingdon II, Ltd. donated the easement to the STF so that the tree could receive proper care in order to arrest its declining health. In 1985 the asphalt was removed from the root area to revive the tree and a comprehensive schedule of maintenance, including soil tests, has been faithfully followed. The tree is watered, mulched and fertilised as needed. Under the watchful eye of the Savannah Tree Foundation, the tree has rebounded and could continue to grace the city well into this century. In 2001 the Candler Oak was designated a Georgia Landmark and Historic Tree by the Georgia Urban Forest Council. In 2004 the tree was nominated to the National Register of Historic Trees by American Forests.

 

LF Savannah 214

 

We picked up the meaning to the saying “Sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite.” In the old days they used to fill pillows with Spanish moss. If the seams were not in perfect order the chiggers that happily make the moss their home would march out in the dark and have a good munch on the unaware sleeper. They also filled the seat cushions in some of the major financial institutions, many were seen scratching vigorously just as their wealth was lost on the Stock Exchange.

 

 

ALL IN ALL NEVER KNOW WHAT’S NEXT


Diary Entries