Noon Position: 50 11.5 N 052 20.6 W
Course: South 6 knots
Wind: East, fresh breeze
Weather: Overcast, light rain
Day's Run: 91 miles
Last night was a bit of a repeat performance of the night before, but
worse - no wind, lumpy seas, the boat rolling, pitching, and slamming in the
lumpy left over swell; a loud, noisy, sleepless night. But I eventually got
some sleep, wrapped up tightly in the bunk's lee cloth, waiting either for
some wind to pick up or the swell to die off. At six this morning we at
last got sufficient breeze to keep the boat stable against the sloppy well.
During the forenoon the wind gradually strengthened and we were soon
punching into a moderate southeasterly, with waves leaping over the bows.
Another low pressure system is moving through, the barometer having climbed
last night is now on its way back down, already down to 1005 mb from 1016
last night. The wind is forecast to back into the northwest later today and
tomorrow a strong southerly is brewing. My goal is to be out of harm's way
tucked away alongside somewhere before the southerly meets us. Yesterday I
was thinking I had an extra day in hand but it seems not. Consequently I am
making for Cape Freel, about midway along the northeast coast of
Newfoundland, or thereabouts. From there we will parallel the coast until
it becomes obvious that we need to make for port. If we make it as far as
St Johns that will be a bonus, but I think that unlikely.
It's time to go and put another reef in.
Back again, now we are under double reefed main, about 30% jib poled out to
port, running wing on wing before what is now a nor'easterly.
Are we there yet? Hmmph, sure has been bumpy lately! Where's the skipper?
Oh well, for now I will just stay curled up under this sea rug and continue
my work out. Zzzzzzzz.
(All is well.)