Light Winds

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Tue 30 Jan 2024 01:19

Noon Position: 39 28.5 S 144 04.0 E
Course W Speed 4 knots
Wind: SSE, F1
Sea: slight Swell: W 1.5 m
Weather: sunny, mild
Day's Run: 104 nm

At 2300, just as forecast, the wind at last backed into the south and we were able to ease sheets for a more comfortable ride. At 0300, with the wind easing below force four, we were able to shake out the reef in the main and unroll the jib. Now the winds have fallen very light from the SSE. We resorted to the code zero for much of the morning but by midday there was not even enough wind to prevent that from draping over the shrouds, so I have dropped the large red sail and resorted to the noisy red machine under the floor boards.

The wind is expected to pick up this afternoon from the S to SW so I hope to be sailing again soon. If the forecast is accurate then if we make good time we might be able to make it around Cape Northumberland before fresh W'lies return later tomorrow. If we can then we will continue sailing, otherwise we will look for shelter at a convenient port, either Portland or Port Fairy.

All is well.