Careys Bay

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Wed 13 Jan 2021 01:54
Position: 45 38.40 S  170 37.62 E
At anchor Carey Bay, Port Chalmers, Otago Harbour
Wind: NE F2  Sea: calm  Swell: nil
Weather: partly cloudy, mild
Day’s Run: 3nm

This morning, after a leisurely start to the day, we weighed anchor and moved to Careys Bay. It is not an ideal anchorage as are on a lee shore but the winds are forecast to remain light over the next couple of days so we should be fine. I will go ashore later to get a few supplies and then tomorrow will likely move somewhere else as the winds are expected to freshen from the NE on Friday.

In the meantime, I have contacted Barry, the caretaker of the Otago Yacht Club. Their small marina is full for the moment, but I have passed his address on to Hydrovane to have the necessary parts to repair the windvane shipped here. Barry made a good point. With the new strain of COVID out of the UK, where my parts need to come from, shipping times may be lengthened considerably. Bother! I may have to investigate having some new mounts custom made by a local engineering firm if I do not want to be stuck here for goodness knows how long.

I suspect I am going to get to know Dunedin very well before Sylph is ready for sea again.

 All is well.