Elliston Still

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Tue 14 Feb 2023 05:26

Position: At anchor Waterloo Bay
Wind: S F 3-4
Sea: slight Swell: NW 0.5 m
Weather: sunny, mild

Kelly's anchors have not yet been found. The local diver made an initial survey this morning and quickly determined that the water visibility was too poor to make the attempt to find them worthwhile. So, regrettably, I don't think Kelly will be recovering his anchors for at least a day or two. In the meantime he has headed in to Port Lincoln to get some extra chain so as to eliminate the nylon rope from his anchor rode and therefore the potential for chafe.

As to my plans, the forecast has the wind clocking through all points of the compass over the next few days making it difficult to work out where to go next. My inclination is to visit Flinders Island, seventeen miles off the coast from Elliston, then from there head north to Streaky Bay. Unfortunately all the anchorages on Flinders Island are exposed to one quadrant or the other so, with the variable wind directions expected, I would not be able to stay a full night at any of them.

However, looking a little further ahead, the winds will be returning into the S'ly quadrant on Thursday and, according to the forecast, remaining there for at least a few days. Therefore I reckon I will remain at Elliston until Thursday morning when I will make my way over to Flinders Island, stay there probably for one night, then continue north to Streaky Bay on Friday. Maybe by Thursday Kelly will have his anchors sorted.

All is well.