East Boyd Bay

Position: 37 06.51 S 149 55.50 E
At Anchor East Boyd Bay
Wind: S, F3 – gentle breeze
Sea: calm Swell: nil
Weather: mostly sunny, mild

Late Friday afternoon I was sitting at anchor waiting for the southerly buster to arrive and as I sat there I could not help but wonder where all the other boats were. It has been many years since I have had to hole up in Twofold Bay to shelter from a strong southerly, must be eighteen years ago now – time!, Yachts would sit out the north-easterlies in Snug Cove and when a southerly threatened we would all bustle over to the southern side of Twofold Bay. I was not quite in the conventional position but it puzzled me as to where all the boats who had been at anchor in Snug Cove on Friday morning had got to. It was not very likely they had put to sea just as a gale was in the offing.  As I was looking around I spotted one boat crossing the bay. I scanned ahead of him to the part of the bay towards which he was heading and my mystery was solved. There, behind the “new” Naval ammunitions wharf in East Boyd Bay, were a number of mast poking up. I contemplated staying put or following the herd. In this instance I decided to follow my herd instinct, assuming the local herd’s collective local knowledge was probably worth take into account. I had close to two hours of daylight left so we weighted anchor and motored a further 2.7 miles to join all the other boats.

On arrival we found plenty of room, though not in the best part of the bay – that had already been taken  We dropped anchor in six meters of water, laid out plenty of chain in anticipation of the coming blow and settled down for dinner. All was calm.

However, come two o’clock the wind suddenly picked up with a fury. I stuck my head up the companionway to make sure Sylph was secure. I could see the odd spot light dancing across the water and a hail here and there, but all seemed in order so I returned below and moved bunk from the V-berth to the settee so as to be able to respond to any eventualities as quickly as possible.

It is now Sunday morning, the southerly has blown itself out.  Later this evening the wind is forecast to swing into the north. Until then a moderate southerly wind remains in charge. Consequently, my plan is to get under way around sunset to make best use of whatever favourable conditions there are. The next leg is about 180 nm to Refuge Cove on the east side of Wilsons Promontory. With luck the conditions will allow us to keep on going. I need to make some ground if we are going to get to Adelaide in time for my brother’s birthday.

All is well.