Departed Melbourne

1900 Position: 38 08.0 S 144 46.5 E
Course: SE Speed: 4 knots
Wind: S, F4 – moderate breeze
Sea: slight; Swell: nil
Weather: clear, mild

I returned on board this morning from yesterday’s birthday celebrations, looked at the weather forecast, weighed up the pros and cons of staying alongside another night or to get going, and settled on the second option.

At 1240, with the wind blowing us off the dock, we slipped our lines, allowed Sylph to drift clear then raised the mainsail and manoeuvred clear of Williamstown before setting the headsail and settling down to a work to windward to the southern end of Port Phillip. The wind is against us but it is only a moderate breeze which will ease overnight then swing into the south east, a good direction for getting around Cape Otway. Then we should have some favourable wind for a day or so before it swings into the west. I am hoping my luck will hold and that we will be able to get around Cape Nelson before the westerlies kick in. If we can make it that far then we might be able to continue straight through to Adelaide.

All is well.