Wed 17 Feb 2010 22:00
Wind: Northwest, moderate breeze
Weather: Sunny, warm
Today's job of pulling the head off the engine went a lot better then I expected, which makes a nice change. The only problem I encountered was the last bolt holding the head on - why is it the last bolt which is always so obstinate? Just one of the laws of nature I guess. I added big lever to my T-bar and socket on the recalcitrant bolt but that just bent the T-bar. Then I used a trick I had learnt in Mauritius using two ring spanners, after many strains and grunts, and eventually bracing myself so I could put my whole body into it with a really big spanner it eventually budged. Ten minutes later the head was off and the problem revealed. The Mechanic was spot on, a burnt out valve is the culprit, and it is very bad. Obviously I have let this one go for a bit too long, not only is the valve burnt out but there is quite a bit of damage to the head as well. The Mechanic returned at about 2 p.m. and I was pleased to be able to show Him everything I had managed to do. He has taken the head away and will return later this evening to tell me the verdict. On the plus side, the bottom half of the engine seems OK.
So that left this afternoon free to continue a bit of painting.
All is well.
When the beast which lives beneath the floor boards ever gets any attention my small but otherwise comfortable abode is turned into a shambles, and this would be about the worst I have experienced - my kitty tray even got moved and I had the indignity of being locked in at one point. Fortunately the sun was shining for most of the day, the dodger makes quite a nice spot to get out of the wind and still catch a bit of sun through the windows. Now the sun is low and it is getting a little cool so it's back to the V berth . . . Zzzzzzzzz.