A Fair Fresh Breeze

Noon Position: 35 35.3 S 150 26.7 E
Course: South Speed 6.5 knots
Wind: North east F5 fresh breeze
Weather: overcast and mild

After a three night stop in the clean and tidy fishing village of Ulladulla, the highlight of which was the huge bright and shiny new Woolworths store, the wind has once a gain swung into the north. We got underway at 7.30 with a very light breeze but, as forecast, as the day has progressed the breeze has freshened, and we now have a reef in the mainsail and the jib, poled out to port, is reduced to about 70%. The fair wind should hold until around midnight tomorrow night, as another southerly change comes through.

Now I am in a little bit of a quandary. The next logical place to shelter is Twofold Bay, but at the current rate of progress we will be approaching Twofold Bay around midday tomorrow. We have been making slow progress towards our destination, Adelaide for Christmas, so I am loathe to waste any fair wind I can get. Looking at the weather map I figure if I keep punching south into the southerly change, heave to if necessary, then come Monday we should be getting favourable winds again. My current inclination is to stay at sea, cop it sweet for about 36 hours, then, hopefully, be in a good position to make the most of the wind when it turns. I will make a decision tomorrow when we get closer to Twofold Bay. In the meantime, I am poring over charts to see what other options I have for shelter south of Twofold Bay. Not many I am afraid.

All is well.