Canso Strait

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Wed 25 Jul 2007 17:56

Noon Position:  45 33.9 N  060 24.0 W

Course: 055, Speed: 5 knots

Wind: Southwest 15 knots

Daily Run: 114 miles

Average speed: 4.75 knots


It’s a beautiful day.  The sun is shining, light cirrus clouds fleck the sky and we have a fair wind at our stern, sailing wing and wing before at a comfortable 5 knots.*

Yesterday we cleared Sheet Harbor and at 12.40 shut down the engine to drift awaiting some wind.   This time the forecast was spot on and at 3 p.m. we were sailing before a light south-easterly which gradually backed into the west-southwest and freshened to a very comfortable 12 – 15 knots.  We had more fog overnight and encountered some traffic as we passed Canso Strait early this morning, indicated by their fog horns, we didn’t actually see anything, but this morning the sun has burnt off the fog and now we have a lovely clear blue sky and excellent visibility.  Hopefully it will last for a while.

As far as the wind goes we have a favourable forecast until Friday with light to moderate westerly winds, so for now we press on.  Our next stop is St Johns, Newfoundland, now 380 miles away, if the wind holds we should be there in three to four days.


* Wing and wing (or goosewinged as we say in Australia) is where you have the mainsail out one side and the jib poled out the other.