Fair Winds

Noon Position: 31 32.9 S 153 42.8 E
Course: South West Speed: 5 knots
Wind: South East, F2-4 – light to moderate breeze
Sea: slight Swell: South East 1.5 meters
Weather: mostly cloud with sunny patches, passing showers
Day’s run: 104 nm

Over the last few days, due to sail damage and delays caused by bad weather, I have been contemplating clearing in at Coffs Harbour in lieu of Sydney. A secondary goal of this passage for me was to sail from Fiji to Sydney non-stop, and when it seemed likely I was not going to achieve that goal I realised how disappointed I was. However, after repairing the mainsail above the first reef, having a good rest, reviewing the weather forecast, and getting a bit of a pep talk via email from a good friend, I have decided to push on for Sydney. ETA is very uncertain, and one complication is the overtime fees that Australian Border Force (it used to be Customs, but I won’t start) charge for clearing in are a major consideration for the budget minded cruiser. So, most likely, as it seems very unlikely that we will be in Sydney before Friday afternoon, I will loiter off for the weekend if possible and officially arrive back in Australia on Monday morning, making for a voyage of two and a half years – just a short one this time. But we are not there yet – head’s up, eyes on the ball.

All is well.