Thu 14 Mar 2013 09:25
Course West nor'west Speed: 3 knots
Wind: South west F3-5 gentle to fresh breeze
Seas: moderate Swell: South west, 3 meters
The worst of the westerly winds were over yesterday evening and this morning at ten thirty we got underway again to continue on our way back to Adelaide. The wind is still less than favourable but, as I have said once or twice before, if we hang around waiting for perfect conditions we would never get anywhere, though perhaps there is something to be said for that as well.
Another front is due through tomorrow evening. I hope by then we shall be close to the South Australian border and will be able to turn the corner at Cape Northumberland. If we can make it that far before the front arrives then we will be able to ease sheets a bit and not have to punch into it. I am not terribly confident of making it in time as the wind strength is currently up and down a lot. It is typical trough type weather, with bands of cloud and rain squalls passing over at regular intervals. As a squall approaches I have to reduce sail, last time I was down to two reefs in the main, then once it has passed the wind tends to die off and we are left wallowing in the large swell that has built up over the last few days.
Now we are under full sail again, heading pretty much in the right direction which is good, but it will no doubt only be a matter of an hour or so before I will have to reef down again. It looks like it is going to be long night.
All is well.