Departed Perlubie Beach

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Tue 21 Feb 2023 03:01

Noon Position: 32 37.8 S 134 02.6 E
Course: WSW Speed 5 knots
Wind: SW, F3-4
Sea: slight Swell: SW 1.5 m
Weather: sunny, warm
Day's run: 15 nm

It did not get as windy last night as I was anticipating, nonetheless at 0200 the anchor drag alarm went off. I got up to inspect matters and determined that the breeze had shifted into the NE and we were in fact dragging slowly. I pondered what to do and realised that I was not going to be able to sleep if I was worrying about Sylph dragging, so I decided to stow the dinghy and get underway. It took me about 45 minutes to hoist the dinghy inboard and stow it on the coach house roof, by which time the breeze had eased a bit and it looked like we were no longer dragging. I decided that I would try to get some more sleep knowing that with the dinghy stowed it could get underway relatively quickly if needs be.

Sure enough Sylph remained put for the rest of the night and I arose shortly after sunrise. I had been hoping for the opportunity to go ashore to explore the beach this morning but now that the dinghy was stowed I thought I would make the most of the daylight and get underway. Our destination for the day is Ceduna, about 65 miles sailing, which means we will not be getting there until after dark. This should not be a problem, however, as nearby Thevenard is a major port so the channel into Ceduna is well marked.

For much of the morning we have had a light N'ly breeze to which we set the mainsail and genoa. We had been making a slow but steady three to four knots when at midday a cool change has blown through, the wind shifting into the SW and freshening to force four. Now we beam reach on the opposite tack with the jib up in place of the genoa. The wind is forecast to freshen a bit more yet so with a little luck we should be getting into Murat Bay around 2130.

All is well.