Wed 24 Jun 2009 13:49
Course: South Speed: 5.5 knots
Wind: Southeast, moderate breeze
Weather: sunny Sea: slight
We had an enjoyable time in Galway, had a bit of a look around, enjoyed a
Guinness or three (I reckon it does taste better here, but then it had been
a long time between drinks) and caught up on a bit of boat maintenance and
other essential domestic chores such as laundry. The major logistical
problem was to top up the propane which required a new gas bottle and
regulator to Irish standards. Only later did I discover that I could have
had my US bottles topped up at "Baby World". Now why didn't I think of
checking the baby shops for gas refills?
Come Monday we were ready to sail so when the dock gates opened at 3.30 p.m.
we were away with a very pleasant westerly breeze which had us tacking out
the Bay, and while this requires a bit of extra sailing one nice thing ab
out sailing upwind in enclosed waters is it gives you the opportunity to see
a lot more of the shoreline. As evening approached the wind died off and by
8.45 we were under motor. And two hours later we had picked up a mooring at
Killeany Bay, Inishmore.
Tuesday - more boat maintenance in the morning and in the afternoon we got
to go ashore to explore. The highlight of Inishmore is Dun Aonghasa, a 3,000
year old ring fort built on the edge of a cliff. It was a bit of a hike,
about 11 km round trip but I needed the exercise and it was well worth it. I
will post some photos next chance I get.. This also was my first experience
of some Irish countryside, all the stone walls are amazing, there are so
many them and must have taken a huge amount of effort over time to create
them all. And was asking myself so why are there so many of the things, what
is there purpose, or was? I admit my ignorance and will have to find out.
This morning I awoke to a light southeast breeze causing the Bay to have a
little bit of a scend and had Sylph bobbing around a bit. It was forecast to
freshen during the day, perfect for making our way south. I had planned on
staying another day but with so much to see and do and so little time I
decided to make the most of the conditions and continue on our way. After a
quick breakfast I hoisted sail, slipped the mooring and tacked out of
Killeany Bay, I always try to sail when I can. Once clear we bore away and
with tidal stream assisting we quickly popped through Gregory Sound
separating Inishmore and Inishman and were out into the Atlantic, sun
shining, sylph heeling to a brisk breeze and slicing her way into sparkling
Our next port of call is the either Ventry Harbour, 80 miles from our
current position, or Dingle Harbour, a little further on up Dingle Bay. Our
ultimate objective over the next few days is to try to visit the Blaskett
Islands, an exposed group of islands marking the westernmost point of
Ireland which are prone to rough seas and afford no shelter, conditions will
have to be near perfect if I am going to be able to explore them. Tomorrow
we shall see.
All is well.
Nice to have the boat to myself for a bit yesterday, an opportunity for some
undisturbed ... Zzzzzz.