Departed Snug Cove

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Wed 8 Feb 2023 02:26
Noon Position: 35 33.2 S 136 35.9 E
Course: NW Speed: 4 knots
Wind: E, F1
Sea: slight Swell: SW 1 m, E 1 m
Weather: mostly sunny, warm
Day's run: 15 nm

This morning we arose to the morning's weather forecast via HF radio which, over breakfast, we pondered and considered the plan for the day. SE winds at 15 to 20 knots, increasing to 25 knots west of Kangaroo Island. Excellent, I thought, perhaps a tad windier than ideal but coming from the right direction so we should be able to make good speed to the NW. Exactly where we would end up I would decide depending on how conditions actually turned out.
My broad plan was to first head for the Neptune Islands, 43 miles distant, where there is an anchorage on the eastern side of South Neptune reportedly giving good shelter from the SE. If that did not work out then I figured we could continue north to Williams Island which looked like it had a good anchorage on its northern side, and if that looked unsatisfactory then we would continue west for an overnight sail to Avoid Bay on the western side of Eyre Peninsular.
We slipped our mooring at 0820 and motored out of the confines of Snug Cove then once sufficiently clear of the coast turned into the wind and set the mainsail with one reef. I figured we could always put another reef in as we proceeded west and the winds freshened. Then, once settled on course, I set the jib, poled out to port, running with the wind fine off the port quarter.
And a short while later my well thought out plan fell apart. Instead of the wind freshening to a strong breeze, it has actually faded out to pretty much nothing. And unfortunately the seas are not similarly calm, rather a short steep sea is running from the east, with a swell from the east and SW to make for regular washing machine conditions. I have tried altering course to the north, dropping the jib and setting the genoa, to gain some apparent wind and make the motion more comfortable but to no avail. I then resorted to motor sailing but even that has not produced enough apparent wind to keep the sails full. So, rather than flogging the sails to death, I have dropped all sail and we motor slowly to the NW, hoping that the forecast will eventually come good.
Oli hangs on, secure in the settee berth with front paws wide spread, in an experienced able-bodied seacat posture so as to counter the rolling.
All is well.