Departed Stansbury

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Fri 24 Mar 2023 01:48
Position: 35 02.4 S 138 59.5 E
Course: SE Speed 4 knots
Wind: S F3
Sea: slight Swell: negligible
Weather: overcast, mild
Day's run: 16 nm

The wind is forecast to freshen from the SE later today and shift further into the east on Sunday. It is very likely that Oyster Bay would become rather uncomfortable with the wind in the east, especially at high tide. Furthermore, I do not wish to end up pinned over on the western side of the Gulf, so I decided not to stay to enjoy the sights of Stansbury, which I had only recently experienced, but rather would get underway and make our way to the other side of the Gulf, hopefully before the wind freshened too much. So I set the alarm for 0630, awoke early after a restful night, had breakfast and slipped the mooring as the sun was rising.
Thus far everything is going according to plan. Indeed, the wind has been lighter than forecast and since leaving Oyster Bay we have been able to keep all plain sail set. At this stage I am not sure what we will do tonight, whether we will go to anchor or keep on sailing. It really depends on what the wind does and where we end up when we get to the other side of the Gulf.
Oli has assumed what has become his customary position when sailing, hiding under the bunk covers.
All is well.