Day 181 – Running Free

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Sun 12 Jun 2022 05:53
Noon Position: 37 27.4 S 105 22.9 E
Course: ENE Speed: 6 knots
Wind: SW Force 6
Sea: rough Swell: SW 3m
Weather: cloudy, cool
Day’s Run: 145 nm

We continue to make good time with a strong breeze behind us. Over the past day the wind has freshened and we run before it with a triple reefed main and 20% jib poled out to starboard. I am allowing Sylph to be pushed to the north a little as strong NW’ly winds are expected tomorrow which will then tend to push us south again. And we are wanting to keep Sylph making good speed so as to get past Cape Leeuwin before the 17th when a low pressure system is due to pass to its south with gale force winds between the low and the Cape as the low squeezes past. So far, so good.
The problem split pin in the fore-stay continues to play on my mind so despite the rough conditions I did a rigging check this morning. I climbed only as far as the spreaders as it was unsafe to go any higher, but I could just see the troublesome pin from the spreaders and as far as I could tell it looks okay. I expect it will be at least several days before conditions will be calm enough for me to make it all the way to the top of the mast again and check it properly. In the meantime we will keep our fingers crossed that the new split pin I put in on Friday will make the distance. If we continue to make good speed then I figure it only needs to hold out for another two weeks.
And I learned an important safety lesson yesterday while flossing my teeth; namely, in rough weather always ensure one is braced in a secure position while carrying out this important bit of personal hygiene. We took a heavy roll while I was flossing and I found myself sliding across the cabin sole with my hands effectively cuffed together by a piece of floss wrapped tightly around my pinkies. Fortunately I slid and landed without damage against the crash bar that protects the stove from such eventualities.
All is well.