Masthead Fitting Repaired
Position: Moored Rushcutters Bay, Port
I am pleased to report that this week has been quite productive. I have managed to repair the masthead cap support for the outer forestay with the judicious use of a Dyneema strop, a block of teak and an eye bolt. Chris and I took Sylph for a short sail yesterday and tested out the code zero. Thus far my repair job has held up. When the drizzle stops, hopefully tomorrow, I will climb the masthead and inspect everything to make sure nothing has been stressed. I will be very pleased if my in situ repair job is sound as this will remove the need to have the mast pulled and will save a lot of money.
Another piece of good news is that I received advice from the CYCA that the survey I had done on Sylph after her refit in New Zealand is acceptable so that saves me another wad of cash. Consequently I have been in a much better mood this week and have renewed my efforts to further prepare Sylph for the Race.
The next important task ahead of us is having Sylph measured, which is being done when she gets hauled out on 22 August, and then the inclination test, which is booked for 4 September. I have to have Sylph completely empty for the inclination test, a big job given the amount of gear that I have accumulated on board over the last 25 years. Fortunately my Sydney club, the RAN Sailing Association, has been very helpful and is allowing me to store most of my stuff in the club house loft.
Once the inclination test has been done then Sylph can be issued a stability certificate, an important prerequisite for offshore racing these days. From there we will turn our attention to all the other tasks that must be completed, in particular ensuring that she will pass the safety audit.
So, at this stage we are looking good for making the start line on 26 December.
All is well.