Resurrection Bay

Noon Position: 59 53.6 N 149 27.0 W
Course: North Speed: 1.2 knots
Wind: West F1 light air
Sea: calm Swell: South 1/2 meter
Weather: sunny, mild
Day's run: 48 nm

Despite forecasts assuring me of winds of somewhere between ten and twenty knots from the west, we have spent a large part of the last twenty four hours becalmed and drifting, so once more my ETA at Seward has to be delayed. At least we have made it into Resurrection Bay at last, after tacking back and forth across its entrance for most of the night, or drifting. I have done a few hours of motoring as well, but there is only so much motoring that I can take. For now we are drifting in the vicinity of Bear Glacier, an inactive glacier (according to the US Pilot) that stops short of the bay, its terminal moraine forming a barrier between it and the water, so no ice can calve from it and form icebergs.

About mid-morning we had a moment of drama when the VHF radio started to come alive with various calls. It seems a tsunami warning had been given out in Seward and word was getting around the various craft plying the waters of the Bay, mostly tourist boats. Depending on how bad the tsunami was, being caught in a bay such as Resurrection Bay is not at all an attractive proposition. The best thing a boat can do in such a situation is to head for deep water. I decided that I would put the storm boards in and wait for a bit to see if the warning was officially confirmed, and if it was to turn Sylph around and head back out to sea. Fortunately even before I could ship the boards and stuff RC down below, Seward Police came up on the radio and advised that the warning was a false alarm and to disregard it. I was of course relieved. The alarm did get me thinking a little about what might happen if we were struck by a tsunami while in port, especially here in Seward. I wonder how high the hard stand area is above sea level, not very I imagine. I guess there is little point in worrying over something that you can do little about, but maybe I should adjust the contents of the grab bag while we are hauled out, and have RC's carrier handy just in case we have to head inland at short notice.

It is another fifteen miles to Seward. We could make it today if I am willing to motor for about four hours. On the other hand, Sunny Cove is only two miles ahead of us, and the US Pilot says this is the best anchorage in the bay, or perhaps Humpy Cove a little further on. Then I can have a good rest tonight and motor the remaining distance to Seward tomorrow. I will let you know tomorrow what I end up deciding to do.

All is well.