Still No Stability Certificate

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Tue 3 Oct 2023 06:10

Position: Moored Rushcutters Bay, Port Jackson
Wind: NE, F5
Sea: slight Swell: nil
Weather: mostly sunny, warm

My confidence in making it to the start line for the Toll Gate Island Race on Friday 13 October has diminished somewhat this week, primarily because we are still waiting for our stability certificate from Offshore Racing Congress, an organisation based in the UK. I have been chasing the certificate up through Australian Sailing but thus far, despite assurances that it should only take a few hours to process and numerous calls from me, I have heard nothing back. In order to enter the Toll Gate Island Race we need to have our entry in by midday on Monday 9 October. I can only hope that it will be completed this week.

Meanwhile, the final safety audit is booked for tomorrow morning. I think I have everything covered, though I have misplace the handheld GPS as a result of having to remove everything from the boat for the inclination test. It is only small and I have no idea where it has ended up. I have searched everywhere for it but to no avail. Not to worry, I have organised to borrow one until it either turns up or I acquire a replacement.

Two other items outstanding are our qualifying passage and the communications check. Chris and I are planning on doing the passage this weekend, but, with respect to the comms check, here again I am waiting for the relevant person to get back to me.

It will not be the end of the world if we do not participate in the Toll Gate Island Race but it will be a good confidence boost towards ensuring our Sydney to Hobart preparations are all in order. I will be disappointed if we cannot make the start but clearly there is little I can do to make other people meet my expectations, apart from being a bit of a nuisance. Otherwise we just keep our fingers crossed that everything will come together.

All is well.