Guam Diversion

Noon Position: 12 54.1 N 147 24.4 E
Course: North west Speed: 5.5 knots
Wind: East, F3 gentle breeze
Sea: moderate Swell: North east 3 meters
Weather: overcast, mild, and humid
Day’s run: 148 nm

Last night I rang Guam Customs and Border Protection and obtained permission to stop at Guam to effect repairs to the wind vane. My temporary repair seems to be holding up well for now, but I think it might be asking a bit much of all those hose clamps to hang on for another 1,367 nautical miles to Okinawa, so, reluctantly, I have adjusted course for a pit stop.
I find I feel somewhat disappointed. It is not often one gets to do a major ocean passage of this length and I felt that, while we still had a long way to go, at the mental level at least I had broken the back of it so to speak. Not to worry. On balance I think it would be foolish to continue with such an essential piece of equipment in doubt when the opportunity to fix it is just around the corner.
At our current rate of progress (the last 24 hours was another very good run) we will be off Guam tomorrow evening, but I have provided an ETA of 10.00 on Tuesday so as to enter harbour in daylight hours, and also to allow for any unforeseen delays. Also the pilot says that Agana Harbour, where we have been directed to, should only be entered in daylight, and then only with local knowledge. Hopefully someone will be able to assist me with the entry when we get there. Also I believe that if I enter outside working hours that we will incur an overtime fee for clearing in, which of course I want to avoid if possible. As it is there is the chance that I will incur a hefty visa fee, but with luck the authorities will view my case with sympathy and grant me a waiver.
So it looks like Sylph and Co. will be bringing in the new year in Guam. I had best go and check my US courtesy flag.
All is well.