Cat Jabs and Other Departure Preps.

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Mon 12 Apr 2021 04:46

Position: At anchor Parua Bay, Whangarei Harbour
Wind: NE, F3   Sea: calm   Swell: nil
Weather: overcast, mild

Two of my packages have now arrived but I am still waiting for the seaboots. I have been advised by the New Zealand Dubarry rep that they are in country and should arrive in Whangarei today … fingers are firmly crossed. Meanwhile, I have started the ball rolling for heading back to Australia. Oli has had his first visit to the vet for his jabs and health check. The visit sets the date for our departure as we cannot leave New Zealand until one month after this check up, and we need another visit within five days of our departure. Consequently, I have set our departure date for Friday 7 May with the second vet visit booked for Monday 5 May.

The month of May is by no means the best time of year to be heading west across the  Tasman Sea, especially not its southern portions but the quarantine laws of Australia and New Zealand allow for very little flexibility, so we are just going to have to take what we get. I am going to aim for South Australia but, given the weather systems we are likely to encounter, I suspect we will probably end up clearing into Australia somewhere in NSW.

It is going to be an interesting sail.

All is well.