40.44 S 134 17.16
Conditions for today were forecast to be mostly light and variable until mid-afternoon when the wind is supposed to turn fresh from the south. With so much more to explore and, as always, with too little time to see it all, I got underway at 0925 motoring the 3.5 miles out of Port Blanche and into Streaky Bay where we found a light breeze and attempted to sail for a bit.
As mentioned yesterday, given the forecast light winds my plan was to only go a short distance today, first to check out the anchorage off Perlubie Beach behind Eba Island, and if that was not to my satisfaction to go further to anchor behind a sandbar off the settlement of Haslam.
We sailed for only an hour before what little wind we had faded away and I resorted to the BRM again. When we motored around Eba Island an expansive bay opened up and a long white sandy beach backed by large sand dunes was revealed (albeit with numerous four wheel drives parked along the beach). A shallow sand bar joins Eba Island to the beach which should provide good shelter from the forecast S'ly winds.
So we have now come to anchor in four meters of water about 500 meters off the shoaling beach. Unfortunately the bottom once again consists of weed so the holding is not going to be great. Hopefully it will be adequate and if not then we will just have to weigh and head out to sea.
All is well.