Leleuvia Island

Lars Alfredson
Tue 16 Jul 2013 02:55

Pos 17:48.58S 178:43:09E


20130713 Saturday


During our “sundowners” visit with Morning Glory we had both decided to head out for the small reef surrounded island of Leleuvia with its yacht friendly resort and where Arthur was going to catch up with friends on several other American yachts that were already anchored there.


We set off first and as agreed, we radioed them the weather situation out at sea. As usual the wind was on the nose but we managed to eak out enough angle for the jib to set very close hauled, as we motor sail down south west towards and passing the west coast of Ovalau Island then more or less due south to Leleuvia.


The winds were gusting 25 knots and the seas were running around two metres making for a well healed bumpy ride though we were managing to make 7 knots plus. Once in the lea of Ovalau the seas calmed and the wind dropped making life a little easier.


Approaching Leleuvia we listened to those yachts already anchored there offering pilotage information and when we joined conversation took a way point for the final approach to lead us clear of the coral heads and in through the reefs.


IMG_1595   IMG_1599

                              Passing Ovalau                                                                                         Leleuvia Island.       


“Morning Glory” followed us in an hour later and we arranged to meet ashore for happy hour which we were told started at 5pm though in the meantime we would do a reccy ashore, check out the restaurant and book for dinner for us both.


IMG_1614 Fix    IMG_1618

                                    The Bar.                                                                                                          The Lovo pit.


Dinner was going to be a traditional Lovo, where rocks are heated, the food wrapped in leaves placed on top and then the whole lot buried underground while it cooked. Having taken our snorkel gear we checked out the shoreline reef, though the visibility was not that good, before returning to base.


Come 5pm the wind was whipping up the sea and the journey ashore was a wet one. There we met up with the crews off the other boats and joined together on a large table all wearing the seaman’s badge of honour, our wet clothing!


IMG_1627   IMG_1628

                         Dinner is served.                                                                                               and Kava


The food, chicken, fish, mussels, salad and local vegetables was very tasty and there was as much a you liked served buffet style. The band was excellent and unusually featured a “Tea Chest” bass and a left handed musician playing a 12 string guitar.


IMG_1637   IMG_1671

            Tea chest bass.                                                     Left hand twelve string.  


During the interval we entertained by and English lady saxophonist! With electronic backing provided by her partners computer, hooked into the sound system. There are many strange sights in the Pacific.


IMG_1624   IMG_1651

                                    The Band.                                                                                                   Saxophonist   


All suitably fed we moved to the bar to watch the musicians and take one or two for the road before a damp dinghy journey back to the yacht.


 IMG_1644    IMG_1653

                          The dining crowd                                                                                          Watching the Band.


Bob the Blog





20130714 Sunday


During the night it had been blowing a hooley with wind in excess of 25 knots fortunately the reef provided protection from the seas which remained below half a metre and not too bouncy.



                             Before the blow.


The morning arrived overcast and with a distinct lack of sunshine. The winds had decreased but the temperature remained around 25c and there was not much enthusiasm to venture shoreward.


I spent the day sorting out hardrive space on my netbook and catching up on Blogs and others were absorbed in emailing, websites, and their books.


Beer o’clock and lunch passed by and then it was time for dinner. I am still writing blogs and sorting and downsizing pictures at 22:00. Where did the day go? Having studied the weather charts we decide to wait until the morning, head out to sea and then dependent on conditions turn north or south.


A night cap and so to bed.


Bob the Blog