Friday 13th

Pos 64:41.31S 62:37.75W Cuverville Island

Fredagen den 13:e. Detta kommer fram när vi äter frukost. Bob föreslår att vi återgår till sängen. Detta sker naturligtvis inte. Vi ska vidare. Ett isberg som är som en friggebod ovan vattenytan finns framför vår stäv. Det är ju så om ni inte vet att 1 del av 10 finns ovan vattnet. Släpper akterfästena och styr runt isblocket. Det är ju fredag den 13:e, kättingen sitter naturligtvis fast under isblocket. När vi återgått till tampar i akten visar det sig att ankarwinchen gått sönder. Som tur var finns det två winchar.

Thomas, Lars och Urban startar nu upp med att flytta över 40 meter kätting till den boxen som är tom. Flytta över ett ankare på 75 kilo. Det finns nämligen två i fören. Den kättingen som är kvar i båten och som inte finns någonstans under isen måste flyttas för att till den fungerande winchen. Om ni inte förstår vill vi bara att ni ska förstå att vi fick en del att göra. Efter detta startar arbetet upp med att ta isär den trasiga winchen. Lars meddelar att detta kan ta dagar. När Thomas och jag har förstått vad som kan ta dagar meddelar vi kapten Lars att Chilenska marinen kanske har rätt verktyg för detta. Det visar sig att de har de rätta verktyget. Tre timmar senare ligger winchen i en låda, rengjord. Vi vet vad som måste beställas. Undra vem som får äran att ta med detta i sitt bagage.

Eftersom vattnet stiger och sjunker ungefär en meter och det kommer bli som högst klockan 21 så gör vi ett försök med att putta undan isberget med vår jolle. Chilenska flottan kommer nu med en av sina gummibåtar. Isberget flyttar sig. Fler berg är på väg in. Nu är det bara att bita i det sura äpplet. Klockan är 22.30 på kvällen. Ankare upp och lämna detta ställe.

Om det inte skulle vara ljust dygnet runt skulle vi inte lämnat vår ankarplats. Det är nämligen fullt av stora och små isbitar i vattnet. Vi vet att det finns en annan ankarplats ungefär en och en halv timme bort.

Det var en upplevelse i sig att segla på natten i denna miljö. Klockan två på natten kunde vi dra oss tillbaka till våra sängar. Vi somnar tills förhoppningen att det inte finns några isberg som hindrar oss för vidare imorgon.


13012012 Beware of Friday the 13th

We finished the evening off by playing Mexican Train, punctuated with great discussions as to the validity of certain moves and much translation of the rules. Unfortunately as Shan was out of contact to control events it did get a little disorderly.

At breakfast this morning Urban points out that it's Friday the 13th and maybe we should all retire to our bunks. If only we did!

Today we planned to move some 10 and 30 miles to a couple of other recommended Bays. All is well until we try to pull up the anchor, but we aren't going anywhere as 200 tons of grounded iceberg is now sitting on it, on a falling tide.

Despite trying our best efforts to drag it out, and even pushing the berg with dinghy, it's firmly stuck. Then there is a nasty graunching from the anchor winch as we try to free ourselves, which then gives up the ghost. First inspection shows the gearbox casing has split and the whole unit has to be removed to check for any damage to the gearbox itself.

In the meantime we return to our anchorage and manage to move another berg that threatens our stern. The two anchor chains have to be swapped over so we can use the alternate winch and we need a "Puller/Extractor" to get the other damaged winch out.

The Chilean base comes to our rescue lending us one and soon the kitchen becomes a workshop which has been freed is now disassembled and inspected.

It's snowing and the temperature has dropped. High tide is at 10pm when hope the berg will float free and we can recover our anchor and freedom. During our imprisonment we have been able to study the penguins which surround us. The noise and smell of the colonies are pretty horrific, though they are quite amusing to watch as they waddle around like little Charlie Chaplins.

At 21:30 we commence operations to try and shift the offending berg and several others that have come to join it. We're not having much success with the main cause of our problems when a fleet of new bergs which are sailing down the channel threaten to join them.

Enter the "Cavalry" in the form of the Chilean Navy whose 40 Hp motor powering their Zodiac has a bit more "Oomph" than our 10Hp unit. So joining forces and with the tide still rising it's finally on the move.

The decision to go or stay is made for us, when another large berg comes down the channel towards us. So it's up anchor and full ahead all engines well one at least.

We're heading for Coverville Island some 10 nautical miles away where we hope to find a suitably sheltered anchorage for the night.

There is a lot of ice in the channel and we have been listening to the roar of new bergs calving during the day. Some of these are humungous! And we pass one the size of several football fields, with cliffs rising around a hundred feet from the water.

Bearing in mind that there are another nine times that size beneath the water, you really don't want to run into one of theses things or vice versa.

Its past midnight when we arrive at Isle Cuverville, though still light. The anchorage consist of a bit rocky shore line beneath a wall of snow protected by two bands of rock in shallow water that protect it from passing bergs that either get stranded or miss it, running down the channel beyond.

A few shallow draught, smaller models, manage to get through on the high tide but we push these out into the main channel sending them on their way on the strong current.Having tied up its 2am, we put wet gloves on the engine block to dry with just time for an Anchordram before we retire.

Bob the Blog