Steve & Carol
Tue 2 Apr 2024 13:30
17:57.914N 066:37.1976W
Disappointed with Salinas this time around we decided to head west to Ponce, we had a downwind sail and by the time we got to Ponce the wind was south easterly and so we opted to anchor outside the harbour, on our way there we had a slight problem with the stern gland leaking and the bilge pump float switch failing when set to come on automatically, Steve managed to tighten the stern gland, not an easy job in rolling seas as it's not got easy access and to get to it you have to move things including some of our battery bank! Anyway with the water ingression stopped we still needed to sort out the bilge pump so that it could go off automatically if necessary, once in the anchorage Steve got the float switch and checked it - it was definitely dead, luckily there was a small chandlery near by, we headed ashore and managed to get a new switch which was promptly fitted and the bilge pump was now fully functional again.
The next day the wind and swell had settled and so we moved and anchored outside Ponce town and went ashore to try the shop here, again it was a decent walk away so we had to be careful what we got, we did find some good meat and chicken for Steve and got a few other bits - we are short of fresh fruit and veg as it's bulky to carry so hopefully we will be able to get some more before we leave Puerto Rico.