Cabo De La Vela, Colombia

Steve & Carol
Tue 18 Dec 2018 13:10
12:11.88N 72:09.358W
We left Aruba at about 14.30 yesterday in with wind gusting 26-28 knots so had just reefed genoa, the winds eased as we got away from land and by night fall we had full Genoa and reefed mizzen (we reefed mizzen to allow wind to still get to the wind generator). we had a good sail for the whole night in much lighter winds than forecast and made good progress arriving here in the anchorage at midday. As we anchored the wind picked and boats still on passage reported gusts of 35knots! 5 boats have decided to carry on to Santa Marta and 11 of us have made a stop at the anchorage.
When most of the boats were in the Coast guard arrived - boats are not allowed to anchor before they check in anymore and we certainly aren’t allowed ashore, however the coast guard boarded a German boat - Mora, the coastguard were very nice they said they would monitor the group to make sure we were all ok and we could stay till Thursday, we might leave tomorrow depending on the weather.