logo Nano's blog.
Date: 22 May 2007 17:05:53
Title: Bermuda - Azores. Day 2

Date: 22-05-07     Time: 15:00 UTC      Position: 32:24.77N  059:38.99W  

Distance last 24h: 131          Distance from Bermuda: 255           Distance to Flores: 1440
Wind speed & direction: ENE 15          Current COG, SOG: 112, 6,1    Waves: 2m        Barometer: 1021

Click here for English version;

Vi har hatt enda et flott døgn på sjøen. Etter en dag med mye sol og litt for lite vind til å ha full fart, kom skyer og mer vind på kvelden. Værmeldingen fra vær-guru Herb advarte mot et lite lavtrykk som kunne skape kuling omtrent dit vi var på vei, så etter å ha lastet ned flere værbilder over satellittelefonen og hatt en samtale på VHF'en, ble vi (Seven, Anna og Nano) enig om å endre kurs fra 085 grader til 110 grader. Dette skulle da ta oss trygt på sørsiden av lavtrykket. Nye værmeldinger som jeg laster ned samtidig som jeg sender bloggen vil nok vise om vi må enda lenger sør - som er tross alt feil retning, eller om vi kan sikte mer mot øst igjen.
 
Med en vind mellom 14 og 18 knop de siste atten timene har vi holdt bra fart - dog i litt feil retning - og ikke hatt bruk for så veldig mye seilareal. Vi revet kanskje litt for mye på natta og nå har Anna seilt forbi oss. Det er tydelig at hun er en båt som må ha litt vind for å få opp farten, men til gjengjeld holder bra fart når det først blåser. For øyeblikket ligger Anne to sjømil foran oss, mens Seven ligger litt under en mil bak oss. Det er deilig å se andre seil på dagen, og lanternene deres på natta - havet virker ikke så stort da.
 
 

English version

We have had another fine day at sea. After a lot of sun yesterday and a little too light wind for full speed, it clouded over in the evening and the wind freshened considerably so that we could reef the sails while holding a good speed. Having listened to the weather and routing expert Herb, and downloaded more weather pictures, it seems that a low pressure is developing to the east of us - in our path. Having looked at the weather pictures and discussed the matter with the other boats (Luna Quest is not within range at the moment), we decided to change course from 085 degrees to 110 degrees - taking us badly out of our way to the south, but also keeping us clear of the developing low pressure area. I will download more weather information when I send the blog, so we will see if any further avoiding action is necessary or if we can get back to going more easterly again.
 
With the wind between 14 and 18 knots all night we have kept up a good speed - though in a slightly wrong direction - and have not needed all our sail area. We reefed perhaps too much at night and Anna managed to sneak around us undetected and was four miles ahead of us this morning. She is clearly a boat who likes a good bit of wind in order to make her lift her skirts and stretch the legs. As I write she is two miles ahead of us and Seven is under one mile behind us. It is very comforting to have other boats nearby - the ocean doesn't seem such a large place when one can see the sails or lanterns of other boats.
 

Diary Entries