Leaving Minerva

Friday 5th June 2015

 

After looking at the weather forecast this morning, we have decided we will leave this afternoon with slack tide at the pass.  We were going to stay until tomorrow, when the winds fill in properly and the big south westerly swell will have died down a bit, but there are a couple of troughs out there threatening to form a squash zone right over our path to Fiji.  So if we leave today we will have to motor at first, but will hopefully get north of the possible squash zone. 

 

Yesterday we swapped two empty jerry cans for two of Rod’s full ones, and so we are happy we will have enough diesel to motor until the wind fills in.  Another good reason for leaving is that the big south westerly swell has made the anchorage very uncomfortable since early this morning.  So, time to go.