Scott-Free’s blog
Steve & Chris
Sat 15 May 2010 15:37
36:11.732N 29:50.918E
Well, we managed to diesel up without trouble and the engine seems to be purring happily now.
The Rally boats arrived and it was good to see some familiar faces again - Michael and Carin from Windjammer, Roger and Sasha from Ednbal and a few others from Marmaris Yacht Marine and Jacky and Rob from Arwen whom we have not seen since Rally Portugal. Beers on the pontoon seemed a good way to catch up with each other's news.
On Thursday Pete & Mary went off on the Dalyan River trip, visiting ancient Caunos and the mud baths.
Popeye among the ancient ruins.                                                            Taking a rest in ancient Caunos.                                                    On the way to the shower after a mud bath!
As we have done this trip before, we stayed on board and did a few jobs then ran ashore in the rib to settle the marina bill and pick up something for supper.
In the evening there was a Cocktail party with drinks and finger food and an opportunity to meet folk from other boats.  We looked very smart in our crew polo shirts which gained several compliments, but we didn't manage to get a team photo. That will follow. It was not a late finish though,because we would be setting off early (04:30) on Friday morning for Kekova.
As planned we slipped our moorings shortly after 04:30 and motored out of the Gulf of Fethiye as dawn broke over the hills.  With nil wind from any direction we motored until midday when a few knots of wind sprang up from behind.  We motor sailed for a while in the hope it would pick up enough to sail the required average 5 knots to get us to Kekova early evening, but when the wind stayed at around 10 knots we decided to use the cruising chute.  This gave us a comfortable 5-6 knots so we turned the engine off and enjoyed a cracking sail, changing the cruising chute for the twin headsails when we turned the corner and had the wind immediately behind us.
The cruising chute and some of the rally boats ahead                                Mary sunning it on the aft deck.
We arrived at Kekova early evening and tied up on the jetty.  We were soon dressed overall and enjoying a cold beer on deck. 
Steve cooked supper of tandoori chicken kebabs on the barbecue and later we joined the rest of our group for a drink in one of the waterfront restaurants.
This morning we took a trip to visit the castle and to see the underwater ruins through a glass-bottomed boat.  Then lunch of gozleme was followed by a trip across the bay in the rib and a cooling swim off the rocks.
Kekova Castle                                                                               Gozleme being rolled out with one cooking on the stove behind.            Time to cool off with a swim, and then explore the rockpools.
Tomorrow morning we set off at a civilised time to sail the 18 miles to Finike - the shortest leg of the Rally.