37:30.77N 23:26.50E Poros

Ariel of Hamble
Jim and Valerie SHURVELL
Thu 27 Jun 2019 20:33

Monday 24th June, 2019.

We left the harbour as soon as it was light and motored around the headland breakfasting on the way. Not a lot of breeze but we had put up the main in the harbour just in case.

As we made our way between the islands of Serifos and Kythnos we had some wind but the further we got away from the islands the wind became less until the sea was a mill pond making us feel very hot.

We were very lucky to see two pods of dolphins with one lot coming over to see us but in a flash they were gone again.

We had to motor the 61.5 miles although we tried having the main out and the genny flying but they both just were holding us back in this now airless sea so the genny came in and the main was left until just before our entrance to Poros.

It was nice to see Poros again and motor past the quay into Neorion Bay.  The quay was full with people probably realising the Meltemi was going to start on Tuesday morning. We anchored well tucked in and hopefully we are safe for the next few days.


We were very pleased to find the sea temperature was now 28 degrees and very welcomed as we were both so hot.

Wednesday 26th June, 2019.

Tuesday was extremely windy but it calmed considerably in the evening and we left Ariel and went for a walk along the bay.  Boats came and went all day with anchors dragging but a few long term sailors were left at the end of the day not moving. The night wind came and went with strong gusts all night.

Today we woke to the wind blowing at its best.  The super yachts appear to be leaving the quay and trying to find somewhere to reverse and tie back on rocks but the wind doesn’t give the captains much of a chance but they are lucky the big ribs and the staff help find the rocks and sometimes push the big boat into a better course.

The washing on Ariel is blowing hard in the wind. We are so lucky we made the decision to cross back to Poros as our friends are in Serifos tied between two fishing boats with a lazy line with 40 plus knots hiding in their boat as the noise from the wind and the dust is flying from the road. They know they will probably be there until next Tuesday/Wednesday at the earliest.

We feel sorry for the charterers this week as all the harbours will be full of long term sailors who know to hide a few days in advance whereas the charterers want to see as much as possible in their week and will go out whether it is safe or not, not realising the harbours in their next destination is probably already full.


JPEG image

JPEG image