Things get done in the Yacht Haven Marina
Position 08:10.23 N 098:20.42 E
Date Monday 21 to Wednesday 23 December 2015
Monday morning saw us able to raid an ATM, purchase SIM cards for phone and data and meet Greg Dick of South East Asia Marine Services, a yacht services agency based at the Yacht Haven. The owner of the business is Roger Goldsmith who is the Representative Port Officer for the Ocean Cruising Club. We know Roger’s father having first met him in the immediate aftermath of the tsunami in 2004 when Peter was taking part in the Blue Water Rally of that year. As a result of the experience that he suffered in the tsunami Peter stayed on in Phuket and with his wife Sue set up a couple of businesses, SEA now being run by Roger. To complicate matters Roger is now based in Hong Kong but his General Manager Greg Dick has been very helpful in providing advice and sorting us out.
Through Greg I was able to contact a number of contractors and arrange times for Tuesday. Amazing, everyone turned up as arranged and we had five jobs completed in the day:
1. Wash and polish the deck and stainless steel
2. Hoist one of Greg’s men up the mast and replace the B&G wind vane/anemometer using the spare acquired in Singapore.
3. Meet with the owner of Marine Canvas, demonstrate the existing sun awning, made in Fiji, and arrange for a quote to extend the exiting canvas and add two additional sections for the fore and aft decks.
4. Stainless steel welding repair of a lug that had parted company from a stanchion base.
Elizabeth meanwhile was able to get away with Dagmar and a hire car to top up the provisions and do other shopping. She was able also to make contact with Cirrus Air Conditioning, based in Boat Lagoon, whose telephone was out of order and their engineer duly also turned up in the afternoon so:
5. Air conditioning – replace a blown capacitor on the saloon air con fan – and provide two spares for next time.
A very good day’s work all round and finished off by a third visit to our favourite Thai restaurant run by Penn.