Scot Free III
Frank & Anne
Sun 29 Sep 2019 14:28
Some of the original pilings of the old wharf can be seen at the water’s edge.
Walking up to the road, we passed one of the old stores still in existence. Built in 1860, a massive 4 storey building, now a summer home for a delightful couple who invited us in for a look at what is part hobby museum and part residence.
The double frontage shop of W R MacLachan still retains many of the old features - counters, shelving, books and much memorabilia of the era, including 2 massive spinning wheels in the shop windows.
Walked up to the view point.
Scot Free at anchor in the distance with the new wharf ( being repaired after Dorian ) beyond. Walked on and up into the quarry. It must have been a huge enterprise but quite eerie and overgrown now.
Back down in the community, we found the 2 churches side by side.
Very few permanent residents now, but there is a community hall with free Wi-fi. No mobile phone signal here, a long time since we’ve experienced that.
The downside of the warm, calm day- the bugs. Noseeums and mozzies out in force, the first time since our return post hurricane. Where’s the Off?
Trying a local wine tonight. Not sure about the name!