Scot Free III
Frank & Anne
Sun 22 Sep 2019 16:34
Very windy, so excellent drying day for all things not tumble dryable. Nothing blew away, only dropped one peg- rapidly retrieved by F. Enjoying the Marina Art on walk up to clubhouse.
After jobs, chance to walk and explore.
St Peter’s is one of Nova Scotia’s oldest communities, on the narrow strip of land separating the Atlantic and the Bras d’Or lakes. Prior to the arrival of the French, it was a Portuguese trading and fishing post named Santo Pedro in the 16th century. Abandoned by Portugal in the early 17th century, it was taken over by France in the 1630s when a small fortified settlement named Saint-Pierre was built by merchants from La Rochelle on the isthmus. In 1650, La Rochelle merchant Nicholas Denys took possession of Saint-Pierre and encouraged the fur trade with local members of the Mi’kmaq. He subsequently ran many businesses - fishing, lumber and farming.
France lost possession of present-day peninsular Nova Scotia to Britain in the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, but it was only in 1758 that the British finally gained control of Cape Breton.
A glorious early evening walk took us down to the canal, a National Historic site which winds its way through Battery Provincial Park. View of entrance to the canal from the park.
More bald eagles spotted - too fast for the photographer and a couple of seals. The shoaling mackerel, too, were much in evidence. After a very windy day, calm once again.
Walked up to the Jerome Point Lighthouse, marking the entrance to the canal. The small lighthouse, unlike most, displays a fixed red light to seaward instead of a rotating white- spotted on our late night arrival. Very well kept.
Walked on through the campsite- very secluded private pitches for large elaborate mobile homes as well as dinky caravans, with bbqs and fire pits, most with a view. Were struck again, by how much the vegetation has been burnt by the salt.