Pix 18 June 1900hrs Aragon Castello d'Ishia
After coming down from Mt Epomeo we made our way to Castello D’Ishia, built on a small Islet off Ischia. We took a tour through the very impressive Aragon castle, built in 474BC by the Greek-Syracusan, Hiero 1. Subsequently the Romans invaded
and occupied in 315BC. Over the centuries the fortress was transformed by the Visigoths, the Vandals, the Ostrogoths, the Arabs, the Normans, the Suebi and Agevins. In 1301 Mt Epomeo erupted and the Ishians sought refuge in the castle. In 1441 Alphonse of
Aragon rebuilt the castle and connected the Islet to the main island. At the end of the 16th century the castle was occupied by the church together with the Clarisses’ convent and the Abbey of Basilians from Greece. There were some 13 churches.
The French occupied the castle in the early 1800s however the English besieged it and transformed it into a lifers prison and subsequently a political prison for those opposing the rule of the Bourbons. In 1860 Garibaldi closed the prison and in became part
of Italy. Since 1911 it has been in the hands of private owners. (Notes transcribed roughly from brochure provided on tour).