Navy Bay, Poros, 37:30.3N 23:27.0E

Sue & Alan
Sat 29 Sep 2018 09:17
After visiting the Sunken City and Epidavros (two nights) with much discussion about pending and deteriorating weather conditions, our Scottish guests, Jessie & David, were in favour of us taking a brisk and energetic 25NM passage from Epidavros towards Poros. First half close-hauling until we passed the Mathana peninsula headland then running with the wind the remainder, finishing with just few minutes on donk whilst we dropped hook. No one had much sleep that night as the wind howled and we swung like a pendulum gusting well into the 40kns at times. During Thursday the wind settled in the 20kns J&D we were able to visit Poros (and tick-off their visit) and we even ate ashore that evening (in front of a big log fire!). Whilst ashore when they visited the ferry office they were told all ferries were cancelled until further notice. A little problem because they were booked on ferry to Athens next day! Friday morning D & me nipped ashore and D was told "No ferries today". Plan 'B' was for me to take them to Galatas (in the RIB) where they successfully took seats on the bus to Athens. Guess what? At 1:20pm (on time) the ferry arrived! We sent J&D a Whatsapp pic and they replied saying they had enjoyed the overland bus ride.
The weather was fairly kind for us yesterday. The rain became much heavier, thunderstorms and lightning during the evening and squally at times. We now have a little matter of Medicane Zorbas (a rare severe weather event) to contend with. This is a nasty Low Pressure System. It's recently formed in S Ionion and is due to pass close-by, hopefully to our S, mid-late afternoon today. We had comparatively settled winds last night, helpful because we expect to need alert (alcohol-free) anchor watch now (1200) and next 24 hours. We're very lucky to be getting a prolonged boat-wash. There's no salt for now on Ticketeeboo. Can't say how much rain we've had last 24 hours. However, I can say I have checked the drain bung in our 'stowed' RIB to make sure it's not filling with rainwater.
We have friends in Porto Cheli (30NM to our west) and they were advised to get of the wall and anchor for safety. Here in Poros the authorities have ordered all moored yachts off the N-facing harbour wall, although most of them were charter yachts 'going on the run' yesterday, presumably needing to return to Athens for change-over day?
So, as I type this up we have a good quality F8 gusting somewhat higher at times. My oilies top and life-jacket are handy, just in case I have need to assist our hook-holding with a bit of donk. Those who have swung on hook in >40kns wind know what it's like to be here just now.
We're looking forward to some better, kinder, weather soon ....... the type we're usually blessed with in these waters.