position S032 25.800 E171 6.500

Ocean Rival Journey Log
Adam Power Diana Power
Thu 2 May 2019 00:18

Wednesday 2nd May 680 miles to New Caledonia

We finally left the Marina at 4.30pm on monday having planned to leave sunday morning. Initially the delay was the non-arrival of the AIS transponder that I ordered from the Chandlery and having assured me it would be available by the friday it turned up monday morning. Then on sunday I noticed that the back stay was fraying at the base-I hadn't seen it because it was concealed in a plastic sheave. So I had to plead with Rob the rigger to make up another piece pdq which luckily he was able to do. By the time I had it fitted it and we had fueled and settld the marina bill was 4.30pm. We decided to anchor for a last comfy night it whale  bay at the outer limits of the Bay of Islands. We had achored there when we arrived back in October so it felt like a circle completed.

We had a good lively beam reach along the coast but it all the next day to reach the northern point of New Zealand and I decided to find some shelter and anchor again so that we could change over to twin headsails. Although the sun had been put all day the solar panels had been shaded by the mainsail, and the forecast is for southerlies so the twin jibs seemed to be an obvious choice. I wasnt sure which side of Cape Reinga would be more sheltered as the with was sort of parallel to the shore. Heading for the nearest anchorage marked on the chart things went a bit wrong when the furling line pulled out of the drum leaving the jib fkapping in the increasing wind. The 1st anchorage wasn't at all sheltered so we headed for the other side  but a jibe caught the main sheet on the boarding ladder (which I should have stowed), and what with that and the jib and the dark and the wind  and now being sick and a fishing boat nearby drawing us towards it every time I took my eye off the course, we  were in a bit of a mess.  We did however make it round to a bay on the north of the cape and thankfully found some shelter for anchoring. I hauled down the jib having previously dropped the main and fell into my bunk in a state of exhaustion.

Yesterday we were up at 1st light rigging the jibs, straightening the bent stantion and stowing the ladder, fortunately no permanent damage done. We set off at 9am with the poled out jibs pulling well and they have kept pulling since although the south-westerly wind has been just within the direction limit that both jibs can take. The motion has been randomly rolly so stomachs have taken time to settle and I have been prone on the bunk most of the day and night with the regular checks up top.

We made 134 miles in the 24 hours since leaving Cae Reinga which is good progress and we are keeping up 5-6 knots in the 10-15 knot  breeze.