position S17 34.97 W149 52.245

Ocean Rival Journey Log
Adam Power Diana Power
Wed 16 May 2018 07:26
Tuesday 15th May. Morea.

Finally underway after lengthy preparation work. We arrived in Tahiti on the wednesday nearly 2 weeks ago and spent the 1st 4 nights in a pension part way along the road between Papete (the capital) and Tahiti Nautic centre at Phaeton Bay where the boat was sat on the hard. The jobs in TNC included:
-Preparing and painting the bottom with antifouling. Antifouling is expensive stuff anywhere and doubly so in Tahiti but someone had generousy left sufficient in the bottom of 5 gal tin for me to mix with thinners and apply a decent coat.
-Cleaning. Inside and out. Everything outside dirty and everything inside mouldy or corroded.
-Searching for an electric fault that caused the 12v system to be dead. I bought new domestic batteries thinking they were the problem (low specific gravity but good volts) but new batteries from a chinese importer in Papete didn't make any difference. I pursuaded our neighbour in the yard -Alan -to have a look as I ran out of ideas and between us we traced wires under floor boards and behind cupboards and eventually found one heavy wire that had completely corroded through in the engine bay. Re-terminating the wire had the desired result and power was back giving fridge and fans. Both vital for tolerable work inside the boat. We actually had to buy a mains powered fan from Carrefour to allow work to proceed while the 12V system was down.
-Fitting the new anchor windlass controller bought with us from UK and discovering that a heavy duty circuit breaker wasn't working. Couldn't find another in Papete but have got the old one working with a bit of fiddling. Hope it holds up. Bought a 80amp fuse + fuse holder in case it fails.
-Fitting the lovely new stainless steel furling drum and guard that Richie made for me in Attleborough. Slightly too small to fit snug to the shaft but some filing resulted in a satisfactory fit. So far working a treat. Great not to worry that the rope will snag everytime we furl the jib.
-Fitting the eyebolt for the port stay that broke last trip. Also one of Richies supply. He made 6 as it was cheaper once the tooling was set up.
-Re-placed the ignition switch as the old one had seized and I broke the key. Bought 2 switches in Papete-one very expensive from a diesel specialist and one simpler cheaper switch from a chinese chandler. The cheaper one worked O.K.
-Ordered a heavier duty pole and bracket for the Satellite antena to replace the one that failed last time and left the antenna floating away in heavy seas.
-Collected the repaired genoa from sailmaker in Papete. Still haven't mananged to pay for it as he couldnt take plastic. Took the hire car back to the Pension on the Thursday morning and hitched back to the boat- this time a lift after 10 mins having failed to get a lift at all last time.

Alan is working on a gaff rigged steel boat that he bought in Tahiti having sold his very smart yacht and bought a house in Dorset as his wife had had enough of boat living. The need to have a boat is strong though and Alan decided he would keep a cheap boat in Tahiti to cruise the islands during the engish winters. He has taken on quite a challenge but she looks workmanlike and a few coats of paint should see her looking fine. We had supper with him on OR once we were in the water and almost clean, and quizzed him on routes and anchorages of which he was very knowledgable. He returned the favour and had us back to his gaff for TnC's and cheese the following evening.

I managed to fit in a introductory dive at the local dive centre as we stayed at Phaeton Bay an extra day to avoid paying high marina fees in Papete. It was surprisingly easy although I did have trouble staying down and havent quite mastered the technique of adjusting ear pressure. They do a 6 dive open water qualification but I think I am happy to stick with snorkling.

We left Phaeton Bay and motored up to Papete with slightly less ferocious but still heavy stopping seas and 30knots of wind on the nose as we rounded the point that caused us to loose our satelite antenae last time. Can't be right the we had head winds both ways even though it was 6 months later.

We got in to the marina in Papete town centre at tea time on the sunday and tied up on the arrival pontoon as no-one was answering the radio.
Next morning we moved into the main marina (plenty of spaces) with still no radio contact. The office was manned however and key and paper work sorted.
Spent most of monday cyling round Papete- Brompton still working O.K after oil and air. Picked up the re-filled gas canisters, took back the expensive ignition switch and got a refund. Picked up a fabricated pole and bracket for the replacement satellite antenna that came out with us from UK. (ebay purchase-what chances it will work? although tested O.K at home). Found an oil filter and a few other bits and bobs.
Had a delicous birthday supper on the waterfront (raw fish salad).
This morning I fitted the satellite antena on its new pole with heavy duty U bolts clamping it to the pushpit. Struggled to thread the cable through the pole but succeeded -at least part way- still the route from aft locker to chart desk to negotiate. Diana meanwhile found the best shop in the world (selling fabric) and now thinks Papete is O.K.

We set off at luch time, stopped at Marina Taina for fuel and reached the 1st pass on Morea just as the sun disappeared below the horizon. Fortunately an easy pass though wouldn't like to try it in the dark. Anchor, beer, supper and now to bed.