position S00 44.912 W90 18.608

Ocean Rival Journey Log
Adam Power Diana Power
Wed 16 Aug 2017 00:11

Tues 15th August

I am much more inclined to make an entry with something positive to report, even if it is correcting a negative of my own making. Hence  today the recovery of the lost anchor gives motive wheras yesterday the failure to depart Puerto Ayora due to refusal of engine to start was thoroughly disapointing. I had thought that the engine's reluctance was due to a weak battery so took it ashore for charging. The fact that it charged up O.K for $2 at the mechanical store was a positive as I had reconciled to buying new for $150. However re-fitting the charged battery was not acceptable repair for the engine to fire. The starter motor was making pathetic whirring noises so after searching for displaced or loosened wires I admitted defeat again and phoned Jiorgio who had already made his weeks wages on the alternator. He appeared this morning and a quick listen confirmed the need to remove the starter motor, strip down and replace many parts. He has taken it away promising to return with a good as new motor tomorrow afternoon. I suspect that the cash machine won't be able to keep up with Jiorgios demands.

To counteract our deepening depression (and lightened wallet) we made for the cafe above the main supermarket, overlooking the harbour, for their excellent coffee and hot chocolate croissant. Thus fortified we asked around in the dive shops if a diver would like to gain useful experience looking for our anchor. We wouldn't even charge for the privilege. Initial reaction was not till tomorrow and for £200 at which price I balked but then another tour shop made a phone call and a deeply tanned weatherbeaten middle aged slight man (I think called Armano) appeared. He couldn't commit to a price but as he proposed to use our dinghy rather than a dive boat I gambled that he would be cheaper. He took me back to one of the dive shops and hired a gas tank and weight belt for $50. We taxied over to OR and I helped him into the tank jacket- I had no idea that dive gear was so heavy. With me rowing the dinghy and him scouring the bottom he soon surfaced clutching the frayed end of our anchor rope. The anchor was well and truly stuck in the sand and couldn't 
be lifted from the dinghy. Armano descended again and with me pulling from the top and him digging from the bottom we prised it free.   
The negiotiations over the
fee were brief- I offered $50- he said $70 and so we met at his figure. I still felt slightly ahead of the game.

The dinghy by the way has survived its escapade and is operational, albeit with slight ingress of water through the floor. My search of the towns shops for the correct glue has been unproductive.

So far our Galapagos adventure has been a rollercoaster of gains and losses, (inevitably net financial losses), amazing sights of wildlife and vegetation and enforced tolerance of park controls and tourist traps. If we ever get away from Santa Cruz we look forward to Isabella which is supposed to be quieter and wilder.