Position 37:17.70N 26:32.73E
Wed 20th June 2012
We stayed in Lipsi on Wednesday where we visited the local
bakery for coffee and cakes then took a picnic to the little sandy beach of Liendou just over the next headland
where there was lovely swimming and shade from the trees.
In the evening we enjoyed a meal out in a small restaurant
away from the waterfront, up the steps in the centre of the old town.
Fresh grilled sea bream and Apricot chicken – highly recommended.
This morning we left Lipsi and had a cracking sail to Patmos. We were close on the wind with 20-25 knots and
8.5 knots of speed with the main reefed and the self tacking jib out.
Yes, the second genoa, that took us around the globe with
the trade winds and twistle rig, is safely packed away and the self tacking jib
is installed again !
Much more suitable for the ever changing winds and seas in
Just a couple of hours later and we are anchored in the
harbour just off the quayside.
In AD95 St John the Divine was banished to Patmos
and whilst he was here he wrote the Book of Revelations.
Later in 1088 permision was given to build a Monastery to
commemorate St John.
Patmos is now famous
for The Monastery of St John which crowns the island.
Huddled around the Monastery are the immaculate white washed
houses of Hora with a maze of streets, so we will be off to visit tomorrow.