Rob and Jacky Black
Thu 30 May 2013 07:30

42 21.3 N 18 22.2 E


We spent three nights here on a buoy which turned out to belong to the restaurant/cafe at the root of the small mole. We didn't actually go ashore for 2 days as the weather was very varied with heavy thundery showers and a swell coming down the bay from the north despite the wind being from the south most of the time! We did a few 'jobs' that had been outstanding - Jacky made another fender cover (3 hours of hand sewing!), cleaning the inside of the boat and some polishing of the wood work. Eventually we decided to re-launch the dinghy and fit on the outboard and went ashore around lunch time on Saturday. We had drinks at the bar and a snack, discovered where the shop was (it was closed but would re-open at 1600) and also spoke to the 'owner' of the bar regarding fees. We were delighted to find that there were no charges for the use of the buoy but we resolved to go ashore again later for shopping and to eat a meal at their restaurant. This we duly did dodging the heavy rain and thunderstorms! The bar also had wifi which enabled us to check the weather for the next few days. An unsettled picture and apparently very unusual for this time of year according to the owner of the bar.

We met a friendly couple from Australia who had sailed down from Split and shared a table with them that night exchanging information. After supper they came back to our boat for coffee etc. and they bought our redundant gas BBQ which was great as we now use our Cobb instead.

We decided that we would leave in the morning for the Boka Kotorska ( a large inland sea) where there are numerous places to anchor and explore including the renown Kotor.

The journey was short though rather uncomfortable with a big swell running from the South which meant much lurching around for us heading north west and then north.There wasn't much wind to start although it duly came in from the west as predicted around 0900. Unfortunately we had a bit of a catastrophe due to the rolling we encountered - the cooker broke free from it's gimbles! As we speak Rob is endevouring to mend the fittings. The small bolts that held the fixture on the sides of the cooker sheered off and so while under-way we had to sit the cooker in it's alcove wedged in with various things like cork placemats and bits of spare wood!! This did the trick and once in the calmer waters of Kotor he was able to investigate more fully the whys and wherefores and undertake a repair!

before heading for the town of Kotor we took fuel at the first harbour on entering the mini sea - Herceg Novi. where the fuel berth was as per the diagram in the pilot book at the root of the mole. The attendant was most helpful and we were soon 'tanked-up' to bursting. More details to follow on the cooker saga and of cours about our explorations of this rather spectacular place.