Rob and Jacky Black
Tue 23 Apr 2013 15:04

36 40.9 N 23 02.3 E


Sunday 21st – Tuesday 23rd April

We enjoyed our visit to this port the berth alongside the concrete mole was well sheltered and had a fresh water supply reasonably nearby. (We had to join 2 hoses together) The position of the Coast Guard vessel has changed from that on the chartlet in the pilot book, it is now on the south arm of the quay with notices posted for no mooring alongside. The inner side of the small quay running west/ east was full if fishing boats but the outside of this would have room for several yachts using the traditional med mooring method. Jacky headed off for the Port police on arrival but was told there were no formalities and nothing to pay. However on Monday morning two officers arrived and asked us to complete a crew list and checked our documents. They also said we should check in to the Port Police at least once a month on our travels. There was no charge as the ‘marina’ is unfinished.

On the upper wall of the jetty were several adverts for services one of which was for a laundry which we duly contacted. A large bag of mixed bedding towels and clothes  ( 6 kilos)was collected at 1000 and returned at 1800 washed dried and folded all for the princely sum of 6 Euros. Probably the cheapest service laundry we have had in 5 years!! Having completed a few jobs including washing   the boat and lowering the dinghy onto the jetty to clean it and check it for a leak. We took a walk into the town to explore a bit. There were several market type shops, at least 2 fresh fish shops and a bread shop. Rob found a good small supermarket which enabled us to top up some supplies and even gave him a lift back to the boat with the purchases.

Meantime Jacky took the local mini-bus into the old town/castle area and had a most interesting walk around this well restored village with some ‘up-market’ hotels and rather expensive tavernas /bars and shops. A maze of alleyways and steps led us through the lower town to the ramparts at the north eastern end with lovely views of the bays and mountains of the east coast of the southern Peloponnese. There were a number of churches and in the ‘cathedral’ a very special wall freeze dating from the 13th century which was kept in a special climate controlled niche. The walk to the top to view the upper town and citadel was too much for Jacky so she and Lin settled for a drink in the sunshine while Frank ascended the steep steps to the top and was rewarded with some amazing views. We had a lovely 30 minute walk back down the gentle hill and across the causeway to the marina admiring the spring flowers on the way.

Later we entertained Lin and Frank from Hamble Dawn 111 for drinks and nibbles before an early supper as we wanted an early night.

Having reviewed the weather forecast we had decided to leave early on Tuesday morning and head for Spetsai.