Rob and Jacky Black
Mon 11 Oct 2010 15:47
36 45.2N 28 56.2E
We had a quiet night at anchor behind the small island off Marti Marina and would have stayed longer but wanted to meet up with our friends in Fethiye
before their unexpected departure for the UK on the 8th of October. (We had to use the cockpit mosquito net at this anchorage as we were plagued with wasps, bees and flies!)
We left early on Tuesday morning and sailed to Gocek arriving after dark in the bay south of the town. After anchoring around 2000 and enjoying a quiet supper we had an early night only to be woken by
concerned shouts around midnight from our neighbors who insisted we were dragging our anchor! We were sure they were but did the honorable thing 'last in first out' and moved!
Rob went ashore the following morning for water and to dump the rubbish as well as to top up the booze locker (there is a small supermarket that delivers to the dinghy so it saves carrying cases of beer and bottles of wine!)
In the meantime Jacky got on with some chores on board primarily servicing the forward heads which had packed up! Later in the afternoon we motored to Fethiye and anchored off the customs pontoon on the north side of the bay beside ECE
Marina. We didn't find the holding as good here as on the other side but decided it would be nearer the marina where our friends June and Steve had their boat berthed. The following morning we headed for our re-union it was over a year since we had been together in Messalonghi so we had a great deal of catching up time planned. it was great to see them both and to be back on board Piper for drinks, coffees and using the internet. We really enjoyed their company and had a super couple of days including  a meal out at a local restaurant June and Steve had found as well as a visit to the 400 year old Haman for Jacky for a much needed scrub followed by a super back massage!
On Thursday night we were guests for supper and Steve had made a delicious Cottage Pie. We were sorry to say cheerio on Friday when they left for the airport but hope to see them again perhaps in Alanya in the spring.
We spent another night at anchor in Fethiye before heading east again for Kalkan - we planned to stop en route but explored the proposed anchorage and found it to be exposed to the winds that day so kept going. Unfortunately we were
caught in a bit of a blow (not forecasted) which resulted in some damage to our sails. Following a massive broach when we were hit with gusts of wind in excess of 30 knots we dropped the main  to reef but it caught in the lazy lines on the port side and they snapped which brought the main on to the deck! While sorting this out the jib flogged and the luff line casing parted company from the lower 3 meters of the sail so we had to furle the jib away too.
Having spent some 45 minutes getting everything sorted out (this involved tying the main onto the boom with several sail ties) we were able to continue our passage to Kalkan where we eventually found a good sheltered anchorage to drop the hook and relax! We were in the company of 6 gulets and two other yachts in this bay - all sheltering from the very strong winds.