Lefkas and Prevza

Rob and Jacky Black
Thu 23 May 2013 11:47

38 49.8 N 20 42.8 E


18th -19th May

We left Messolonghi at 0615 hoisted the main before entering the canal section and motored out with a flat sea and the sun gently rising in a clear sky. The journey to the north west was pretty uneventful and although we did start to see more and more yachts as we approached the first of the Islands. We made very good progress and decided that rather than stop at Nidri for the night we would press on to the main harbour just a further 8 miles. We eventually arrived through the canal at Lefkas and motored past the marina to the town quay which was full. Several boats were anchored off and two were even med. moored to the road causeway. In the end we decided to go back to the marina and were soon all fast on pontoon E. It is a comfortable and well run facility and we enjoyed our one night here. After a phone call to the local Nautilas chandlers we had a delivery of two fuel cell cartridges for our new battery charging system. Interestingly we paid 20 Euros less per cartridge than on Crete where we bought on in Chania. We did some  shopping, made enquiries and got some business cards for services we may use on our return in the autumn, had a ‘sundowner’ and a light supper before retiring early. The following morning we took fuel and then headed for the bridge to exit the canal and sail to Preveza. We were one of 15 boats and the bridge was late opening, eventually we exited around 1030 and were soon heading up the coast to Preveza. We had a phone conversation with Tony on China Blue and ascertained where they were anchored in the inland sea to the east of the Preveza port. We found them and were also soon anchored. It was a very close and hazy day the water temperature in the anchorage showed 27.4 C so a swim was the order of the day after our arrival! We had a light lunch and later Jacky swam across to China Blue for a swim and chat to both Margaret and Tony who were also cooling off in the water!  

Later John and Anne in Mariah arrived and we all went on board China Blue for drinks and nibbles. It was marvellous to catch up on everyone’s news. We could hardly believe it is almost 5 years since we had last met! The following morning we heaved up the anchor and set off for the small port in Preveza as we needed some basic supplies. The disused and rather run-down Preveza marina has been taken over by Cleopatra Marina and they now have a porta-cabin and a marinera on duty. There wasn’t much room but we managed to squeeze in a space alongside right next to one of the new water and electric pillars that have just been installed to replace the mostly old non-functioning ones scattered along the pontoons. Later on Mariah arrived and we went for an early evening drink into the small town. We had previously agreed that we would head off early the following morning for Paxos.