Mykonos and the Dodecanese

Rob and Jacky Black
Tue 13 Oct 2009 19:29
37 07.4 N 25 49.1E
Islet Dhenoussa
We anchored in Ormos Roussa for the night having sailed from Kos on 01/10/09.
It seemed a safe and quiet spot when we arrived and there were 2 other boats in the bay. However during the night the wind howled and came in from the South west we were soon bouncing around and so little sleep was had! We left at first light and headed for Mykonos with a following sea and Force 7 winds. On arrival in Mykonos we tied up along side the concrete jetty in the same spot as last time and both went for a sleep!
The marina was very quiet and the good taverna was closed for the winter so a meal on board was promptly followed by bed.
Sunday 4th October
Our friends Wiz and Watson arrived from the U.K. today on the last Easy jet flight of the season. Once they had settled in and we had caught up on chat they headed off to town to see the sights. We had supper early and turned in so we could get an early start to head east for Fournoi.
The wind had dropped over night so we motored to start with but we were soon able to unfurle the genoa and sail for part of the journey. We returned to the bay south of the harbour and were soon at anchor and in the sea for a swim. It was good to have company in the water for a change!
Tuesday /Wednesday 6th - 7th October Samos
37 41.2N 26 56.6E
We sailed across from Fournoi and as before the wind was up and down and the genoa was unfurled and furled but at least we had extra hands for all the efforts! Can't complain really as the sun was shining and the sea a glorious dark blue. We found the town quay in Samos to be fairly quiet on our arrival and moored up opposite our favourite cafe. Drinks followed by a swim in the bay and then a meal out at Faros restaurant - our favourite in Samos. We had a lazy day on Wednesday having done some shopping while Wiz and Watson explored some of the ancient monuments, we then headed for the beach for sunbathing and swimming with a special soup (again at Faros) for lunch.
Thursday/ Friday 8th- 9th October
37 27.4N 26 58.1E
We motored all the way (15 miles).
Found a delightful spot to anchor in crystal clear water over sand and we were soon swimming to the beach; had a wander round the tiny harbour and checked out the options for supper later. There was a large naval patrol vessel on the quay along with a Coast guard launch so no room for yachts and when the ferry arrived the one fishing boat there had to move!
We had a lovely meal at George's Taverna - local goat and rabbit and a delicious dessert biscuit made with eggs and honey. The following day Wiz and Watson went off early to explore the island and then after more swimming we took another trip ashore for a light lunch at one of the other Tavernas, meanwhile several other yachts arrived and either anchored or went along side the jetty (space having been created after the navy vacated the harbour.
We really liked this spot and plan another visit before the end of the season weather permitting.