Grenada - 5 February

Sun 5 Feb 2006 20:41

Having arrived in Tobago like a lamb, slowly tacking up the east coast to Scarborough, we left it like a lion, roaring out between the main island and Little Tobago, with 4 knots of current under our keel and 25 knots of wind, through the standing waves that marked the entrance to our anchorage and into a tumultuous sea.  When we reached the deep water it was quite a shock to the system as Keoma rocked and rolled along at 8 knots, slamming through the waves.  From time to time airborne water seemed to appear from nowhere, immediately above our heads, drenching the four of us. 
Little Tobago - we passed through the waves on the far left of the photo
After sailing for an hour we saw dark clouds coming in from behind and the rain calmed the sea to a more orderly rolling wave pattern.  Even better, the waves were coming from behind and the combination of these with 20 knots of wind and a beam reach made for a heavenly sail.  We were soon sailing along at 8-9 knots with regular surfing at 10 knots.  But there were the occasional rogues - once every 15 minutes or so a large wave would come in from abeam, sending the boat spinning and rolling sideways.  Juliet was on watch when a large dark fin appeared in the water next to the boat - a shark!
The sail took around 12 hours and we arrived back at 4.00am.  As we approached Grenada the swell started to build in the shallower water and soon we were again in a big, confused sea.  We were relying on our GPS to find the way into Prickly Bay in the dark, which was a little bit hair raising especially with the wind gusting up to 35 knots.  However, we made it into the shelter of the anchorage with no problem and, with the help of torchlight from the bow to avoid hitting other anchored boats, we found a spot to drop our anchor.
The next day we cleared Customs (which had to be done at Prickly Bay) and then motored to True Blue Bay and anchored again.
Leaving Prickly Bay
True Blue is beautiful and clean, and there is a very laid back hotel with a restaurant and bar, and even better, a swimming pool.  There are lots of other boats here that we know, including 3 boats which have children on board and we have fallen into the routine of doing schoolwork in the morning and then going to the pool in the afternoon.  Later on the adults tend to congregate at the beach bar (right next to the dinghy dock) for happy hour.  It has been a very sociable time although not so healthy for our livers!
True Blue Bay, with Tamarisk directly in front
This might prove to be valuable training for the impending arrival of David and Bridget (Charlie's parents), who will fly into Grenada this evening.