Kappeln, Germany 54:39.941N 009:56.303E

Frans & Sarah Toonen
Mon 29 May 2017 19:20
Tuesday 29th May 2017. 31.6nm. 5.0 engine hours. Weather: SW2, 13-17°C, Overcast, Dry

Woke up 7.45 to the sound of the engine starting and the anchor being hauled.  Frans was up early and as promised had us on our way before we were awake.  The journey to the northern end of the Kiel Canal took less time than we anticipated and Janice and Debbie were in their PJ’s eating breakfast as we approached the locks.  The small lock was closed and we were put in a lock with one large tanker type boat.  Mooring on in the lock involved a slippery pontoon not usually required by the large vessels and so Frans had to not only drive alongside and stop but jump off and secure the lines as well. We were soon under sail in the Baltic, with our guests enjoying their first sailing experience of the week. As this was day one in the open sea we didn’t want to passage too far, just test their sea legs and knot training. We also knew that heavy rain was expected later. 

Frans had noticed on waking and through the day sailing that the house batteries were not holding their charge as they should, not surprising as they are 7 years old.  However, we continued towards Kapplyn motor sailing (only a Force 2) knowing this would need to be addressed.   

As we entered the Schlei, there was a narrow bouyed channel, but it was very picturesque with a pretty little marina at the mouth of the river with a beach walk as far as we could see, too small for us though and we continued on to Kappeln.  We had been told that the town quay mooring past the bridge was the best, but Pelagia was too wide and we turned about and went back just out of town to a small marina and rafted on to a deserted and very grand Oyster yacht at the end of the pontoon. This meant that although we were ‘bow to’ we could get off the side of the Oyster on to a narrow pontoon this avoiding climbing over the anchor and bow sprit area.

On arrival, Frans took the opportunity to source some new batteries (the chandlers had 4 marine batteries of the correct size) and proceeded to fit them.  Unable to help (have you tried to lift a 30 kilo battery) us girls left him to explore the town and potential restaurants for our evening meal, a difficult job but someone had to do it.  We eventually settled on a a restaurant overlooking the historic harbour on the banks of the Schlei and enjoyed a lovely meal of fish but had to delay our return home to wait for a torrential thunder and lightning storm to subside.

Holtenau (Kiel) lock, in with the big boys as the small boat lock was INOP.

Under sail in the Kieler Bucht.

After 7 years they had past their useful life.

3 of the 4 batteries ready to go in.

Meanwhile the girls went shopping.