pago pago

Sat 22 Aug 2009 03:42
14:16.5S 170:41.5W
We made it in by dark, tied up on the quarnteen dock, and then went ashore! Having demolished several hamburgers at McD, Ina and the children did some late night laundry, whilst I kept the boat safe, by going to bed!
On awaking Ina decided to take advantage of the great laundry, and wash all the bed linnen. So whenSimon woke up, he wandered in to me to ask, what happened to my blanket?
He and I then went ashore to clear in, and happened to bump into Ina & Amanda in McD`s! After a quick breakfast, Simon & I wandered off todo battle with the customs man. Having passed through tough security, we wandered about looking for his office, which we eventually found, empty! Back to the front gate, "oh yes, he won`t be in for another 1/2 hr".
On the way to the offices, Simon & I had seen a fantastic carving, an entire tree stump, about 25ft high, with figures, octopuss, turtles, whales, well, you get the picture. So we decided to show it to the girls, just beside it was a tradititioal round house where some ladies sat on woven mats, and wove even more, in the traditional way, very intricate patterns, and all whilst they sat and chatted to each other. The one thing we have all noticed on the way through the Pacific is how alive the local culture is. It is not just something the old folks do. Last night we also watched the entire village play a game of touch rugby, not just the boys. Just as well it was touch, as some of the players were definately on the large side!
So, back to the customs man. six offices, some visited twice, $152 US, five crew lists, and two and a half hours later we had all the paperwork to leave. After a quick inspection of a very fine traditional craft being painted on the dockside, we shoved off from the dock, heading for the fuel dock, oh, did I mention the kids insisted on lunch`ll never guess, McD`s.
Anyway, on arrival at the fuel dock, we are asked if we have arranged for fuel. I should point out here that 60% of all th eTuna eaten in the USA is canned at the cannery on the opposite side of the bay (which, yes you can smell) so there are quite a large number of large fishing boats in and out 24 hrs a day, the fuel dock is some 400ft long, and has no less than 7 filling stations. We are informed that without prior permission from HQ we can have no fuel.
We are also informed that it will take about 4 hrs to get permission from HQ, (HQ is 400 mtrs away up the road), yes a telephone call can be made, no they cannot fill us on the basis of a telephone call from HQ.
Now, it is hot and sticky, and I have been dealing with idiots, sorry paperpushers for the last 3 hrs, so Ina bravely steps up, and of course in the space of five minutes has ironed out all the problems. Simon in the mean time has skipped off to chat to the skipper of the tuna boat ahead of us, and has been given a guided tour of the boat, offered some fish, and a sword, from a swordfish.
Ina says yes to the fish, and no to the sword 8(. A piece of fish, in tuna boat language is a 10 kg block. it is a 10 inch chunk cut out of the middle of a large (6ft+) tuna, and is curenly defrosting on the foredack!
Fueled up, thanks given to the fishermen, and we are off again. It is currently 1730, Ina has once againretired to bed, overcome by her version of seasicknes, which involves lots of burping, and sleeping. There is 4 kts of wind and we are motoring at 4.5kts, hoping to get in on the 23rd, but most likely early on the 24th I fear, as I cannot get in at night..